Interested in being a speaker?
Thank you for showing interest in being a future speaker and getting involved in Sunday Assembly Olympia! We have our Assemblies on the fourth Sunday of every month and our speakers play a huge part in making them a great experience for our community.
It is our goal to provide our community with quality secular topics that are diverse, educational, positive, and family-friendly. Our speakers infuse assemblies with learning and wonder. Our motto is “Live Better. Help Often. Wonder More” and we hope that our speakers can discuss a topic that can reflect that message in some way.
We also hope that all our speakers will remember that we are radically inclusive. Our members come from a variety of backgrounds and we encourage speakers to share their insightful views while being considerate of the diversity of views within our group. If you’re interested in giving a talk, check out the information and guidelines below and fill out the form at the bottom of this page.
For additional information about our Assembly format and to see past speakers, click here.
We want our audience members to leave feeling energized, inspired, or more connected to their fellow human being.
Timing: Your talk should be between 15-20 minutes long. You may also want to be prepared for a few questions at the end of your talk (we usually do Q&A or breakout in small discussion groups, depending on time)
Some points to keep in mind:
- We prefer that the talk have a narrative or some narrative content. We don’t want to just provide information, we want to inspire and/or connect with the people who are in the audience.
- All speaker content should be original and give credit where appropriate.
- We ask any philosophical critiques be scholarly and academic in nature. Personal attacks directed towards individuals or groups should be avoided.
- Assemblies must not be used to sell products, promote businesses or services, endorse or vent about political candidates, political views, or religious or antireligious matters.
- As we are a secular community, speakers should speak to themes of naturalism and avoid invoking the supernatural.
- As a celebration of life, speakers should focus on the positive, for example: “We can achieve great things as people working together” rather than “Religion ruins lives!”
Speakers should provide, in advance: any visual aide they want to use (such as a PowerPoint presentation or pictures), a short outline or summary of what your talk will be about, and a picture of themselves and a short bio.
Day of Assembly:
- We meet at Ramblin Jacks in Downtown Olympia. Assemblies typically begin at 3:00 pm. We ask that speakers arrive 5-10 minutes early.
- Speakers use a podium alongside a screen displaying their slides or visual aids. Slides are advanced by the speaker using a remote.
- If you would like to make changes to this setup (to incorporate movement, enable a demonstration, use your own laptop, etc.) we’re happy to work with you! Just let us know in advance.
Speaker Interest Form
Thank you for showing interest in being a speaker for Sunday Assembly Olympia! If you have an idea for a talk that you think fits in with our format based on the criteria above, please let us know! Fill out the form below and we will get in touch with you soon!